With the evolution of the parallel orthopedic fields of hip preservation and hip arthroplasty, patients can sometimes be confused about which avenue is right for them.
The latest techniques in hip preservation surgery developed at the American Hip Institute have proven to restore functionality and may delay or avoid the need of hip replacement in the future.
In a recent research study by the American Hip Institute, their surgeons’ technique to restore the labrum in patients with “irreparable” hip labral tears demonstrated significant benefits in terms of reduced hip pain and improved hip function. The study followed all patients for at least 5 years after surgery, and patients continued to report a high level of satisfaction even after 5 years.
Hip preservation surgery can treat conditions such as:
- Hip labral tears:Tears in the strong flexible cartilage lining the outer rim of the hip socket.
- Bursitis:Inflammation of the fluid-filled sacs that act as shock absorbers for the hip joint.
- Impingement:Abnormal contact and increased friction between the bony surfaces of the hip joint.
- Avascular necrosis:Death of a segment of bone due to poor blood supply.
- Dysplasia:A shallow socket that prevents proper joint function, leading to instability.
The various hip preservation procedures may include:
- Debridement:Shaving of frayed cartilage within the hip joint
- Labral reconstruction:Arthroscopically repairing tears or damage to the ring of cartilage that surrounds the hip socket.
- Removal of bone spurs:Removal of projections that form at the end of the bone which can interfere with joint movement.
- Osteoplasty:Reshaping of bony surfaces for better bone alignment and articulation within the hip joint.
At the American Hip Institute, we are passionate about preserving joint health using minimally invasive surgical techniques. Contact our hip experts for advanced options to treat your hip condition.
Dr. Benjamin Domb is an orthopaedic surgeon specializing in Sports Medicine and Hip Arthroscopy. He is the Founder and Medical Director at American Hip Institute, is rated amongst the Top Doctors in the USA by the NY Times, US News & World Report, and Castle Connelly. The doctors at the American Hip Institute® have been global leaders in Hip Arthroscopy and Robotic Surgery for over a decade. While some would call this excellence, we simply call it the American Hip Institute standard.